Thursday, October 21, 2010

One of my coworkers recently told me about Cooks Illustrated - an amazing cooking magazine/website.
(Imagine Sports Illustrated, but with food...way better)
During my 14-day trial I found tips for cooking skinless chicken. The general idea is to re-create chicken skin with a few ingredients, keeping the meat moist and delicious.
It worked.
Veggies are always needed.
With the prep of veggies came a sad reality. Our apartment does not have a vegetable peeler. Instead, I had to depend on my knife skills. (Poor knife choice as well)
Chicken is then coated in:
2 Tbl melted butter
1 Tbl flour
1 tsp corn starch
1/2 tsp of black pepper
This acts as a "skin" keeping the exterior of the chicken from getting tough and leathery when seared
I decided to spice up this batch of mashed taters by adding about 1-2 Tbl of brown mustard. The taste wasn't overwhelming, but the perfect compliment to our lemon chive chicken and blanched broccoli.

With wine of the floor, and empty plates in front of us, I feel this dinner was a success!
Thanks for eating!
If you have an account at Cooks Illustrated, check out the video for Pan-Seared Chicken Breasts. If not there are recipes for Pan-Seared Chicken at the Food Network. Remember to prep the chicken with "skin" .

No comments:

Post a Comment