Monday, October 25, 2010

I've been trying to expand my cooking horizons, to help with this process I've encouraged friends to pick a protein, and based on that one ingredient, I would prepare a meal.
Protein of the week: Lamb
I found a recipe for Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks online and hit up Whole Foods and Associated grocery to get started.
I've never cooked lamb before, so everything from ordering the meat, to plating was a new experience.
After searing the lamb I sautéed the onions, garlic, and carrots
Within minutes our little apartment was filled with the intoxicating smell of rosemary, wine and general deliciousness.
While the shanks were braising, I started to work on the potatoes - a meal is not complete without a little starch.
Pots are slim pickings in the apartment, with the lamb occupying the largest, I had to revert to two small pots to boil the potatoes.


I have been fortunate enough to acquire some of my Mom's flavored salts. Yum.
I opted to use a little garlic grey on the asparagus.

With the shanks in their final stage of cooking, I threw the burner on high and began reducing the broth to a thicker consistency.
This lasted for only 5 of the suggested 15 minutes - we were all hungry and impatient after nearly 2 hours of cook time.
A little lemon
We're almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment