Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fall cookfest 2010!
I headed home to my parents house this weekend to dog sit and play around in their new kitchen. Construction is still under works, but the kitchen is finished, and spacious, and the complete opposite of what I've been working with.

I've learned most of my cooking methods, recipes, and tricks from my mom. She taught me that cooking is more about a feeling than an exact science. (Thank you Mom!) So with that in mind and recipes in hand I headed home with two friends and the promise of force feeding them for 48 hours.

Woody, my sous chef.
For Saturday night I made a craisin, walnut, and fried goat cheese salad.
The goat cheese needs to freeze before frying, so I prepped that first.
Ingredients: 2 eggs, goat cheese, flour, Panko bread crumbs, and dental floss (for prep work, you wont be eating it)
With a glass of wine in hand, and my apron on I whipped the eggs
First, slice the goat cheese with dental floss. Sounds weird, but using a knife makes the cheese crumble.
All I could find in the house was mint floss, so had to revert back to the knife. No one wants mint goat cheese...
First dip the cheese slice in the flour, then the egg, and then the Panko bread crumbs. Place in a container and freeze!

Later in the evening I prepped the lettuce, it was a mesclun mix (bagged). Simple enough.And for the dressing just tossed together a fig balsamic vinegar with dates and avocado olive oil.
Thanks friend for the help.
Right before dinner was served I took the goat cheese from the freezer and placed each slice in a hot skillet with olive oil.
The outside is crispy, the inside, warm and delicious.

It appears the salad was a success!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the fact that I was still in a food coma from the sausage wheels you whipped up I found strength to push forward and enjoy this delicious salad. The taste: light and refreshing. The feel: (of cotton?) Made me feel like I was in a fancy elitist eatery which would probably have frowned up my attire as well as the magnum of $10 Chardonnay being served. Well done Evann! Although this salad was probably the healthiest thing i've had all weekend I will probably have to wear elastic pants the remainder of this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fried cheese was the PERFECT complement to the meal on Saturday! Good to have a little side of bad with a wholesome salad. Such a good combo!

    ReplyDelete