Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The joys of cooking in a home home:
1. A grill
2. A dishwasher
3. More plates, bowls, platters, and serving utensils than I know what to do with
4. Fun kitchen tools I have not yet acquired
5.Dogs to help with the floor spills

With all these added amenities it was time to light up favorite option #1.
And a glass of wine to get things started.
I love using fresh garlic and after watching my mom cook, and numerous cooking shows it's clear the best way to shell a clove is to crack it with the flat side of a knife. Done and done.
Everything in my parent's kitchen is labeled and re-bottled so ingredients are more manageable.
Large bottles of olive oil are transferred to smaller bottles with pour spouts, and as you'll see later, large bags of flour are sifted into easy to pour/measure and labeled containers.
It's an OCD cooks dream come true.

We let the steak marinate for about 5 hours, turning once at the 2.5 hour mark.
Next I worked on the blue cheese chile steak topper

I used fresh Boars Head blue cheese, and added an extra de-seeded jalapeno.

I like my steak medium rare but got distracted fighting off mosquitos, consequently leaving the meat on for a little longer than intended.
Mosquitos ruin everything.
The potato and steak were the perfect pairing and turned out to be quite a gluttonous start to our weekend in New Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment